• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Finding CPT codes

Linda Charlwood

PASSED CCS/Got the job!/wrk frm hme/PUP all day!
Blitzer
Hello,

I recently took a practice exam and I have a question......

The question on the exam is:

A fulguration or excision of a fallopian tube lesion uses what HCPCS code?
A - 58662
B- 58671
C- 58672
D- 58670

Now while I knew the correct answer my question to you is - if the answers were not righ there how would you look this up in the INDEX?? I always do this when prcticing because we need to know how to locate a code when there are no multiple choice answers in fron of you. I can usually figure it out - but is there a QUICKER method for doing this (any good tips for simplifying) and also what do you look under for this one?
Lesion did not bring me to the right place.
Excision did not....
fulgration did not ......
and finally fallopian tube did not....

all these codes fall under Laparoscopy - what would have been my indication in this question to begin my search there???

Thanks!
Linda

Carmen

Carmen Butler, CPC
Hi Linda, I belive you mean CPT codes instead of HCPCS...... Anyhow, the medical term for Fallopian Tube is " Oviduct", by looking at the index under Oviduct-Fulguration the code is listed.

Linda Charlwood

Blitzer
Hello Carmen,

Thanks for the advice about the medical term - Oviduct.
As for HCPCS/CPT I didn't write the question - I copied and pasted it - that's the way it is presented directly from the test. But most of the time HCPCS and CPT is used interchangeably anyway: Because technically CPT's are HCPCS.

The terms HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedural Coding System) and CPT ® (Common Procedural+ Terminology) are sometimes used interchangeably. What is the difference between the two? Both are HCPCS codes, they are just different levels.

The CPT codes are Level I HCPCS codes maintained and copyrighted by the American Medical Association
(AMA). To make things more confusing, the CPT codes have different categories. The Category I codes are
numeric, such as 99213 for a mid-level office visit. Category II codes are four digits followed by the letter F
and are currently used for reporting quality measures. An example is code 1035F that allows the provider to
report if the patient uses tobacco of the smokeless variety. These codes are recognized by the Physicians Quality
Reporting Initiative (PQRI). Although not separately reimbursed, they are tracked for the possible bonus
payment. Category III codes are four digits followed by the letter T and are temporary codes to describe new
emerging technology. CPT instructions state providers should assign a Category III code, if one exists, instead
of an unlisted procedure. The Category III codes are established for tracking purposes to determine whether or
not a permanent CPT Category I code should eventually be created. Category III codes expire after five years
if a new Category I code replacement is not added.

HCPCS Level II codes are alpha-numeric and are used to report supplies, products and services not included

in the CPT manual. This is where you find ambulance codes, codes for durable medical equipment (DME),

and professional services that aren’t quite defined in the CPT manual, plus others. CMS has a specific workgroup

assigned to administer the HCPCS Level II codes, entitled the CMS HCPCS Workgroup.

Carmen

Carmen Butler, CPC
Thank you Linda for such good information.....In coding we can never learn enough....I love the way this Forum allow us to exchange information that is crucial to our education.

Linda Charlwood

Blitzer
Hi Carmen,
I couldn't agree more!! There is so much to learn that even after 20, 30, 40 years at it we will still be learning! And yes.......thanks to people like Laureen we have this great site to help each other!

Linda

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
This is why I chose medical coding. You are always learning something new and I love it:).

roohi

Hi Linda,
Yes, thank you very much for such a great information. Can you please explain more. I still get confused in levels and catogeries. Who maintains what and this sort of things? The way you described is so simple. Will appreciate if you can explain in detail on that.Thanks.

Linda Charlwood

Blitzer
Hi Roohi,

Sorry I haven't been on here in a little while, I have been studying like crazy!
Your welcome for the info no problem at all. I get lot's of great info from people willing to supply it as well! :)
I am not sure what you mean by levels and categories? I think you are asking about E&M levels? If that is what you are inquiring about it is WAAAAY to much to answer here. However I can tell you that the absolute easiest explaination is in fact what Laureen offers on her Blitz. I am studying for the CCS exam but I needed to figure out an easy way to understand coding E&M and I have searched all over looking for clear and concise steps and Laureen does accomplish this - so if you have the Blitz (or if you don't I would highly recommend it) take a look at that and then post questions that still may not be clear if any.
Sorry I couldn't answer that one here, but it is way to involved to have a quick paragraph of an explaination! Also Google, google google!!! Google should be your BEST freind!!!!!
Good luck, If there is anything I can help with just let me know!!

Linda

NAILA

Blitzer
Hi Roohi,

Sorry I haven't been on here in a little while, I have been studying like crazy!
Your welcome for the info no problem at all. I get lot's of great info from people willing to supply it as well! :)
I am not sure what you mean by levels and categories? I think you are asking about E&M levels? If that is what you are inquiring about it is WAAAAY to much to answer here. However I can tell you that the absolute easiest explaination is in fact what Laureen offers on her Blitz. I am studying for the CCS exam but I needed to figure out an easy way to understand coding E&M and I have searched all over looking for clear and concise steps and Laureen does accomplish this - so if you have the Blitz (or if you don't I would highly recommend it) take a look at that and then post questions that still may not be clear if any.
Sorry I couldn't answer that one here, but it is way to involved to have a quick paragraph of an explaination! Also Google, google google!!! Google should be your BEST freind!!!!!
Good luck, If there is anything I can help with just let me know!!

Linda
I apologize, I wasn't clear in my Q. I meant CPT/HCPCS levels and categories and . Now please read my Q in that light. We get some Qs on exam about these. I did go through Blitz videos and agree with you. They're great. I'm sitting for CPC and also trying to pull it through. Good luck with your exam and do pray for me too!